Monday, September 23, 2013

Another TV post

The Fall line up is coming....the fall line up is coming......the fall line up is coming.

I can feel it in the air. And it excites me. It thrills me. It makes me want night to get here so i can start watching.

You see, i love television.  And i know this is a taboo subject. But i'm talking about it anyway.

Its taboo cause too many of you are haters.  Yea, i just called you a hater. And i mean it.

And no body likes a hater, sister!

 I have a handful--that's overflowing--of friends that don't seem to have time or interest in tv.  They're a little above it--or so they passive aggressively think!

Let me explain why i love it so.....

I love comedy and drama just about more than i like anything. A good episode of 30 Rock or a dramatic Law &Order: SVU just does it for me.

And i'm not afraid to say it.  I know there are a few closet TV lovers out there as well. Ones that watch, but would never dare admit how addicted they are to American Idol or The Voice. And I'm here to say embrace it. Embrace your love for tv....it won't make you dumb, like everyone warns.

And the world isn't square and you won't sail off into the sunset only to fall off the planet---who knew.  I'll tell you who knew...the one who sailed!

This is my thought process as i vacuum today.  The Emmy's were on last night and it brought me great joy. To have all those actors in a room together honoring the talents and skill set of their peers and recognizing the power and the performance and depth of each others work--its so great to watch.

I know Hollywood is lame. I hate that they pay $60, 000 for a watch and i struggle getting my mortgage together every month. That's not what i am loving here--not the lifestyle or their idiotic views. But their craft.

Like, take Alec Baldwin--Can't stand the guy. Hes such a raging liberal and i disagree with just about everything he has ever said--but whenever i see him as "Jack Donaghy" from 30 Rock, i can't help but love him. I laugh. And i smile. And i don't hate him for our differences, i love him for his skill. He has perfected the craft and mastered comedy- by only having to use his eyes. He can speak volumes and bring contagious laughter with a tiny gesture.

How can you not love that?!

Here's the way i see it.  Television provides a break from real life. A moment of depth in a life that is lacking. Comedy can break its way through the most hurting of hearts. A day that feels overwhelming, suddenly seems tolerable. A situation that feels dire, can seem doable. All with the distraction--or inspiration-- of television.

Are you picking up what i'm laying down here? (i'm talking to you, TV haters)

My favorite thing i hear when i ask (which happens alot) "So whats your Monday night line up look like"  And my friend looks at me with a blank stare. And i continue with, "Did you SEE what Severide did last night? Can you believe it?"   or "Do you think Christina is going to be bald again this year, or will her hair grow back? And where did Hadey go?"

(That sentence, which just confused about 3/4 of you, might make sense to a person who watches Chicago Fire and Parenthood.)

Ahhhhh, now you are getting it.

My favorite response to that questions is "Ohh, i don't really have tiiiime for tv."

Oh, DON"T YOU?!  (say that in the most sugary and sarcastic voice that you can muster)

I think that answer is bull.  I mean, we all have time for facebook, right? And what is that fostering that's so important in you life again?  Laziness?  Ahh, yes. Thats what it does. Causes fights? Uhhh, check.  Makes you feel bad about yourself? Most definitely.  But no one criticizes that, cause its our link to the world and we all need to know what our friend down the road is cooking for dinner or how naughty their two year old is acting today, right?  (now this is not a facebook attack, cause i like that too. Only less than TV.)

I'm only saying, everyone has something that steals their time. So we do in fact, have time for tv, we just spend it elsewhere. Right?  Are you TV hatters getting hot under the collar yet?  I'm only trying to make you drink the koolaid and follow me....no bigs.  Don't ask questions, just do it.

I think there is so much hate in this world today. So many feelings, opinions, hurts, wrongs, and politics that get us all going--at each other--until we are all hate filled and mad. Our opinions are so free to spew on others, and so many of us use that power for bad, instead of good. We don't lift each other up, no way--we attack through our opinions.  I mean, don't get me started on the "Vote Yes or Vote No" that came through facebook a few months ago. I saw so many Christians be so unbelievably offensive and hateful, i was shocked.  I'm not saying i don't have my own feelings on it, i just don't want to spew my views too hatefully as to offend someone from the truth and love that Christ offers, right?  As we protected our sacred truths, we did damage in the process. At least in my opinions.  You can't take back words.  Its its hard to hold love in one hand and judgment in the other, right?

I digressed a bit, but what i am saying is, people seem to attach TV with stupidity. And i happen to think, if we wrote our controversial opinions on facebook a little less, and turned on the TV a little more, we might just crack a smile and forget how mad we intended on being. Suddenly that hate post seems less valid.

Maybe?

I'm not saying TV is the answer to all lifes problems.  But its pretty close ;)


I love TV. And some days i just want to shout it from the roof top.  And i know its weird. But if you know me, you know i am loyal. And that is to everything i love. And when people are hating on my thang, i have to interject.

Television will most certainly not make you dumb(and yes, i have read all your posts and articles about that) Its not just a waste of time. Its full of depth, its thought provoking, its uniting, its emotional, uplifting, its informative, its satisfying, its real, its fake, its dramatic, its moving, its hilarious!

It does more for the soul than laundry and dishes, i'll tell ya what!

Watching NPH open the Emmy's last night with a funny monologue that included a few of my favorite comedians (Conan, Jane Lynch, Jimmy Kimmel (he's only okay)) and my friend, Jimmy Fallon--its like everything was right in the world, for that bright moment when they all came together..  Throw in Amy Poehler and Tina Fey in the front row doing their shtick, comedy gold, my friends. I was in heaven. Laughing and smiling, as if they were my friends and i was in on it.

I had a day where i felt a little like my light was growing dull. Like the world didn't want to laugh and they were tired of my relentless pursuit of the good and the humorous and the positive.  And i felt kind of bad about it. Like maybe i should just be quiet and smile a bit less....have less fun in a situation and just settle down.

But alas, the Emmy's were on. And i was with my (wannabe) peers.  Standing when Bob Newhart was awarded his first Emmy and clapping when his friends all stood for him, making him tear up.  It was amazing. My cheeks hurt from smiling. From the joy i felt, for him. Like, yea, he deserves this. He has worked so hard and long at comedy and is so humble....Go, Bobby!!

Same reason i like to see a girl burn a guy in the outfield, i like to see a female hit comedic gold on stage! (and that exactly what Julia Louis Dreyfus did in her acceptance speech last night.)

Boom, girl power. All day. Every day. All night. Every night.

I have decided that if i could do life over, i would definitely work my tail off,  to get to audition for SNL. And that is crazy scary, and they are crazy talented, but what a dream. An opportunity. And i know, i've read Tina's book and Darryl Hammond, i know its maddness and i would likely just curl up into a ball and cry, but what a glorious mess it would be?!  You know what, maybe when my kids go off to college i may just do that...i'm gonna seriously consider it. I only have to change 1,983,000 things about myself and learn--alot.  But i just may try....

My mother and i disagreed about my thoughts today as i told her my opinions. She reminded me that people might not be "lame" just because they aren't watching TV at night. Maybe they are reading a book to become a better parent, or reading about how to help the world.  And i half disagreed. And by half, i mean wholeheartedly.

Yea, i guess they could do that. (snooze)

But they still talk like they are better than tv. And thats what irks me. Its creates this foundation of not only succeeding, but being a teeny, tiny bit better than others. Like you're going to make big changes in this world, but not by watching TV.

Wrong-o.

Tv can inspire people to be more, better, and persevere, i believe that 100%.

Insert my plea that the world watch 'War Horse' and NOT feel inspired.  I dare you. I double dare you.

Here's my point.....


.........


Oh, i don't know. I guess its that i am so excited to DVR 999 shows a night and watch them all into the wee hours of the nights. Never interrupting my time with my kids, or my hubby, or my quality house work and organization time.

The only person i am hurting is myself. And my lack of sleep.

But, come on, sleep??? I'll sleep when i'm dead!!

Just kidding, i literally hate that saying.

I'm gonna be watching TV when i'm dead, up in heaven with Jesus---and we're going to be laughing--and its going to be glorious!

So, here's to the fall lineup. Check your DVR's people, cause this weeks gonna blow our minds!!




Now, if you're offended by any of this clip, i'm sorry. I didn't write it--obviously--but i did laugh.  And ohhhhh, how i love to laugh!!

Lighten up world....Start seeing the funny, and stop being so offended. 


No comments:

Post a Comment